Sunday, November 4, 2012

Capturing my Insanity

My insanity knocks on my door early in the morning.  I open the door and stall, hoping she won't want to come in, but she pushes past me and parks it on the couch. 

"Have a seat dear. We need to talk."

And I realize that I'm not going to get anything done today, because she is like the guest that just won't leave.  I should ask her to leave. Why can't I tell her that today is not good for me? I have things to do.  And yet, somehow I end up joining her in the living room.  I slowly sink down next to her on the couch, and her monologue begins.  Dishes wait, my shower waits, and my kids run around crazy in their pajamas as I listen and nod, listen and nod, listen and nod.  

"He is never going to change you know. He is going to keep doing this forever.  You don't deserve this kind of treatment -- you've been cheated." 

Tears well up in my eyes as I look over at her.  Her life is perfect.  There she is with her 1950's style dress, pearls, heels, and perfectly manicured hair.  It's like she stepped out of a Time Life Magazine a half a century ago and came straight over to inform me of all the woes in my life.

"Remember when you used to be happy? Why do you put up with his crap?  Why don't you show him!  Do something drastic.  Leave.  Get in the car and leave.  That'll show him.  You'll be miserable if you leave, but at least he will get what is coming.  Did you ever imagine how many tears he would make you cry?  He doesn't love you!  He is a liar! People don't hurt the ones they love over and over again.  Your life is hopeless. He will NEVER change."

She uses the words "never" and "always" like they are going out of style. She has hair that HAS gone out of style.  It's curls around the nape her neck in an unnatural tube and it's so stiff it looks like she could walk through a wind tunnel without a single hair going astray. I'm assuming she prefers glasses to contacts because those glasses exude her wisdom and life experience. Those thick, black, almond shaped glasses that snarl, "I am intelligent! You must listen to me!" It's like she hides behind them as she continues her tirade, "What kind of life is this? Call the Bishop, asked to be released.  How can you teach a class when you are a wreck. Your life is a sham.  Everyone thinks your family is perfect.  But you and I know the truth.  The truth is your family is falling apart and there is nothing you can do to save it. Give up."

The awful part about her visits is no matter how many problems she points out,  she never offers solutions.  And come to think of it, she never offers any empathy.  And I realize, she has never gone through this.  She has never gone through anything anything remotely close to this! She is unmarried, no children, and her lack of experience and intimacy has somehow entitled her to all the right answers.  Her world is all hopes and dreams and what "ought" to be.  She insists my life should be perfect too. 

I pick myself up off the couch and walk over to the sink.  She trails me, "You know you are real sucker to stay with him.  Cooking meals for him.  Folding his laundry.  He gets to live it up while he's away and then come home to a hot dinner, a loving wife, and kids who jump and squeal when he walks through the door.  Why should he live like a King and treat you like the slave?" Somehow I manage to ignore her to start moving through my routine.  I tackle my son to change his diaper and when I snuggle his neck and tickle his round belly his laughter drowns out her voice.  She is still talking, but the words seem fainter.  I dress my kids, throw myself in the shower, and obnoxiously she starts yelling at me through the shower curtain. 

"Have I mentioned he is not going to change? That there is no hope?"  She seems annoyed that I'm not giving her more attention.  I step out of the shower and pass her by, hoping she'll pass me by and be on her way.  As I open my recovery manual and begin to read, it's like I shut the door on her. She can't come in my sanctuary.  I feel peace, relief, and hope once again.  Words from experts, apostles, and sisters who have walked this path before me tell me that there IS hope. I can change who I am.  And I have a Savior who wants to save me!

Some days I walk out of my bedroom and she is gone.  Other days she sort of lingers with me and passively murmurs her complaints as I go about my business.  I hope that as my recovery progresses, I'll stay alert and keep her out on the front porch knocking.  I'll hide under a blanket with my kids and hope that after she peers through the windows looking for me, she'll give up and walk away.  But if I'm weak and I let her in, I'll know who she is, and what she is: my insanity.  Just as I invited her in, I can ask her to leave.  A friend of mine said her grandma had a trick to get rid of long staying guests.  When Grandma tired of her guests she started to talk about the gospel.  The guests got uncomfortable and quickly made excuses to leave.  I think I'll try that strategy next time insanity come for a visit.  I let you know how it works out.


10 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, as I read this, I just kept thinking, "yes, yes, yes, those are the lies Satan tells me too." I'm coming to learn that Insanity is really just Satan!

    -MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true:) I can picture her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scanned over this the other day while at work but haven't had a moment to really dive in a get acquainted with your Insanity. So i played hooky from work...and here i am in front of the computer screen eating a donut. Classic, right? that's a whole other kind of insanity.

    She's bone-chillingly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an incredible post. I especially like your Grandma's idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can envision her now & she seems to love coming over to my place too ! How do we both know this same stranger who begs to be heard? Some days I listen too, but more often than not lately, I have taken shoving her out the door - who knows - maybe one day I'll kick her to the curb !

    And Scabs, that donut & playing hooky is a great kind of insanity - at least once and awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True on so many levels. We create a lot of our own pain on top of what others do to us. You speak for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that insanity is trying to do is remove the blinders we are so keen to wear.She refuses to let us live in denial.But we label her as insanity.

    She will no longer be insanity the day we face the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are an amazing writer! The imagery was wonderful. The same thing happens to me sometimes. The, "There is no hope" you should leave him stuff and my husband has been sober for a year and there are so many reasons for hope, he's really doing great. I told him my feelings once and he was like. "Satan is trying to get you". Way to read your manual. When I hang onto the 12 step program it is like a lifeline in the stormy sea. I know that if I stay close to those principles than no matter what I will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My struggle lately is to stay in the present, and I see from my experience with insanity is that she wants to drag up all the past experiences, compare them to present and predict my future.

    I feel peace in the right now, because right now in this moment I am trying to do what God wants me to do. I can't think about the future without despair. Especially the picture that she shows me, because that picture is as bad or worse then the past! It shows ME as never changing. ME as never growing, ME as being the same victim. And guess what! I am not doing the 12 steps so that I can be the same! I am doing them so I can be awesome! And insanity never shows me the picture where I am awesome. My friend the Holy Ghost shows me that one. I need to invite him over more often. And invite insanity to please to to the 12 step program with me :)

    ReplyDelete