Sunday, July 22, 2012

Commenting on Commenting

The other day I was chatting with G about my day and I mentioned I had spent time that afternoon reading blogs and sending a few emails.  He asked if I found it helpful, and I said yes.  But honestly, there are days when I read blogs or forum threads and I don't feel better.  It's certainly not that the posts are duds, it's because I allow myself to read passively and move on.  For some reason reading by itself can bring my down. If someone has a good day, I find myself thinking, "why can't it be me?" If someone has a bad day, I might think, "This issue is such a downer -- it's never getting better! for anyone!" I just keep clicking through pages, but never really finding what I'm looking for. But I've realized lately, that if I simply click on the comment button and begin to compose my thoughts to form a reply, my attitude begins to shift. My thoughts are elevated and a better part of me emerges.  The part that cheers for a friend when times are good, and sends love and empathy when times are not so good. By typing a few words in the comment box, my whole experience is transformed. I thought I would post about this so that when you other bloggers start noticing excessive commenting by Marlee, you'll have a glimpse into my logic.  Plus, you guys are just awesome, and by commenting I can better show my appreciation for all that you teach me.  I love hearing other's experiences, getting new ideas, feedback, and empathy.  I love that I don't feel alone anymore.  That means everything.

5 comments:

  1. HERE HERE!

    One of the ways I justify time spent writing blog posts and reading them is the interaction. Take away the comments and you're right, we're kind of just zombies expecting everyone else's lives to make ours better just through their words. Sometimes that happens, but just like you, I find that when I participate it perpetuates relationships, and relationships are the bottom line of this whole virtual world.

    I found on my "original" blog, after letting go of the idea that I was going to be a famous blogger someday, that people quit having anything to say. It was all the same, because blogs were all the same. So that was when I shifted my blog paradigm and realized that if I was going to justify it, I needed a different reason. I wasn't enriching anyone's life like I thought/hoped I was. So now I blog there for a select number of long-distant relatives and as a type of record keeping.

    Anyway, I'm not so good at commenting, but I completely agree with you. And I am so THANKFUL for the people who have commented on my blog because that is how beatitful friendship have been born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too. We have quite the tight knit online community here. You guys have added to me healing in such a meaningful way. I'm so thankful for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so true. I've been so good about working while at work, and spending time with my family while at home, and going to bed when it's time to go to bed. I've skipped all the blogs for lack of time (since I used to spend my time at my old job checking them... Don't tell...). But the truth is that when I actually write comments, I am so much more connected. So here I am commenting. An hour after I was supposed to go to bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I didn't feel like I was 'part' of something until I stopped lurking and started commenting -- I then felt some connection, even though it was the same things I'd been reading all along, now I was a part of the conversation . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, just turned into aware of your blog via Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful for those who continue this in future. Lots of folks will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete